There are several options for how to highlight the home, and talk about it
Highlighting with the 90s remains the most relevant method of hair coloring. But still many women are wondering how to make highlights at home. After all, it goes to women of all ages, allows you to change the image without resorting to radical measures, and does not spoil the hair. Coloring individual strands of hair can like schoolgirls experimenting with their own image, or older, elegant ladies who want to add a zest to their image. The main advantage of highlighting is that it can be very diverse - with the effect of naturally burnt hair or with sharp color transitions coming from the roots or using the ombra technique with a smooth color transition from the middle of the length to the ends of the hair. Highlighting remains the “master of thoughts” of thousands of women who decided to dye their hair. All the secrets of fashionable coloring tell our today's material.
In many ways, the success of homemade highlights depends on the paint you choose.
Beauty with your own hands
Beauty experts from the American magazine Allure, hairdressers and colorists gave general recommendations on how to make highlights successfully.
The end result will largely depend on the paint, says colorist Rita Hazan, so you should make a choice in favor of complex sets. Each of them includes paint, oxidant 3 or 6%, a brush with separated bristles and a balm conditioner. Quality kits are produced by several companies:
- L'Oreal (Touch-On),
- Garnier (Nutrisse Nourishing Color Foam),
- Revlon (Frost & Glow),
- Clairol (Frost & Tip).
The cases of allergic reactions to paint are notorious. Colorist Kyle White recommends testing the paint on the elbow bend a day before the main staining.
To create a clear glare, it is recommended to use a regular toothbrush: it is more compact than brushes for highlighting, and allows you to make strands of any width.
Experts advise dividing hair into 12 sections for convenient processing.
Do not forget about the aids: before dyeing on the dresser should, in addition to the paint, settle down a greasy cream and cotton pads to clean the skin from stains, hairpins for fixing the strands and a brush for dyeing.
White's other advice is to divide the hair into 12 sections for convenient processing. The tip of the brush paint is applied to the selected strands.
- Cotton pads can be used to protect unpainted hair from getting paint, putting it under the dyed.
- At the final stage of the procedure, the hair is washed extensively with running water, after which the conditioner is applied. It will help close the hair scales and make the hair smoother.
How to make a hat for highlighting
For uniform coloring it is recommended to use special hats. But, since many models are expensive, it is easier to make a hand-made option. To do this, in the hardware store you need to buy a regular shower cap with an elastic and make small holes through scissors, sewing or other sharp tools, through which the strands can be passed. Small strands of hair can be threaded with a non-sharp tweezers. Rubber swimming cap is ideal for creating a working tool for highlighting. Both natural and synthetic rubber are very dense materials, so you can make an unlimited number of holes for threading strands.
Cap for highlighting can be made from the usual shower cap
Tip! Even more budget option caps for coloring can be made from a dense plastic bag. To do this, the package is tied like a cap around the head, mark up the places where you need to make holes and make them with scissors.
Hairdressers and colorists have a different opinion about hand-made hats for highlighting, considering that professional silicone caps are better suited for dyeing strands and creating glare.
How to make California highlights?
Californian highlighting helps to create the effect of naturally burnt hair. It consists in coloring the hair with several shades of the same color. The paint is applied with wide horizontal strokes and stripes, with a dark shade applied to the roots and the lightest on the tips. The most spectacular highlighting can be achieved using a large number of shades.
For coloring, you will need several hair dyes, a toothbrush or a mini sponge, a timer, cotton pads and a greasy cream to protect the skin from stains, disposable dishes for paints.
California highlights create the effect of sun-bleached strands
- Drape is put on shoulders.
- Mix paint and oxidizer.
- The hair is separated by horizontal partitions (the optimal number is 12), the strands should be 1-1.5 cm wide.
- Dark paint is applied from the root area (it is better to retreat 2-3 cm) on the outer side of the strands, brush movements are made arbitrarily and naturally.
- The remaining length is covered with lighter shades of colors, making vertical strokes. After the hair has been completely dyed, time is detected (30-40 minutes). To make color transitions smooth, you can make a pile with a flat brush with sparse teeth.
- Clarified tips tinted tint balm selected color.
- After the time comes out, you need to rinse the hair under running water and complete the procedure by applying a care balm.
Voila! Now your hair looks as if you were resting on one of the beaches in Los Angeles.
This type of highlighting looks especially impressive on brown-haired women and brunettes, since it involves a contrasting dyeing of the strands, some of which are lightened to the maximum. Such sharp transitions allow you to add volume to your hair and create an interesting play of light. How to make the Venetian highlights in the home?
Venetian highlighting is suitable for girls with dark hair
- At the beginning of the procedure, you should use a mild shampoo, because the procedure is performed only on clean hair.
- The hair is divided into large strands (up to 5 cm) and combed with a flat comb with large teeth. Having fluffed up hair, it will be possible to achieve a more natural transition between natural color and colored strands.
- Paint is applied thickly onto selected strands using a small brush. At least 10 cm should be removed from the roots. After all the strands are colored, time is noted (the best option is 10 minutes).
- After the time, apply the conditioner for the entire length and comb the hair, then rinse with running water until it is completely clean. In no case is it the other way round: combed hair must first be softened, then washed, otherwise it can be damaged.
- Now you can dry your hair with a hair dryer or in a natural way.
Tip! After dyeing, it is better to apply an indelible moisturizing serum on the curls, for example, Kapous Dual Renascence 2 Phase or TIGI S-Factor Silky Smooth Moisture Serum, which will restore the structure of each hair after dyeing.
What is basal highlighting and how to make it?
Classic highlighting implies a margin of 3 to 20-30 cm from the roots, but the modern technique of basal staining expands the boundaries of possibilities. This way of highlighting visually makes styling more voluminous, does not spoil the hair and allows for more ambitious experiments with shades than when the hair is colored from the middle of the length.
Radical highlighting visually makes styling more voluminous, does not spoil the hair and allows for more ambitious experiments with shades
For the procedure will need paint, foil, brush and comb with large teeth. Instead of a hairdressing salon foil, its economic counterpart will work best.
- Several large strands are selected, which are twisted with a cord and fixed with a barrette or clip at the roots. It should start from the back of the head, moving radially downward. Parting is highlighted.
- Hair in the back of the head is combed, thin strands stand out from them, are painted and put on a sheet of foil 10-15 cm wide. A strip of material should be held horizontally, while releasing new colored strands. The left and right edges are gradually wrapped.
- Bleached areas of hair are treated with caring preparations: for this purpose, Estel HAE hair ampoules are suitable.
- In the area of the parting you need to gloss over several thin strands.
- Depending on the desired result, the staining time is 15-40 minutes. If the hair was previously painted, then you should reduce the time to half an hour.
After any dyeing, the hair should be given additional nutrition in the form of a mask.
You can check how intensely the strands have time to color, opening the foil. If you are satisfied with the result, you can carefully remove it and wash off the paint.
All about highlighting comb
One of the effective ways to update hair color and make the image more vivid is to highlight a comb. For such staining can be used as a regular flat comb with wide or fine teeth, and specialized varieties for highlighting. Types of combs for highlighting:
- Comb with small hooks - allows you to effectively separate the hair and select the thinnest strands;
- Barber comb to highlight strands. Thin teeth help to evenly distribute the paint;
- Comb-fence. Frequent teeth with curved ends make it possible to effectively conduct the highlighting procedure at home;
One of the effective ways to update hair color and make the image more vivid is to highlight the comb.
- Stripper. Comb, ideal for both thin and wide strands.
- Comb spatula. It is a trapezoidal plate with tonic with small teeth at the end. With it, you can hold selected strands and paint with a brush.
The hair is combed with a normal comb, then with the help of one of the above, individual strands are selected, onto which a brush is applied. Dyed hair is laid in foil or, if a cap is used, neatly placed over it. For open coloring (for example, Californian), it is recommended to use a stripper, which allows you to evenly color both thin and wide strands of hair and give them a luxurious gradient effect.
Highlighting is a popular procedure for updating an image.
Choosing the right paint
High-quality paint - 90% of success, so you need to take a responsible approach to the choice of coloring means. As a clarifier can be used as a powder, and gel or cream option. Powder allows you to make a more intense lightening, while not damaging the hair. Choosing 3 or 6% oxidizer, you can make a gentle staining. You can choose any hair dye - both regular and professional, but it’s better to give preference to the second one: it will give the promised color, while mass-market samples bought from regular stores often give a completely different shade to the hair or less bright.
High-quality paint - 90% of success, so you need to take a responsible approach to the choice of coloring
Hairdressers and colorists recommend using products from the following companies:
- Estel Color Cream - shades from 8.0 to 12.1 are best suited for creating light strands.
- Igora Royal Fashion - the paint from Schwarzkopf pleases with a palette of noble ashy shades (you should choose products with additional marking 1).
- Matrix Сolor Sync - a sparing composition without ammonia has a pleasant smell and allows you to make a soft highlighting option.
- Cutrin RSS is the leading professional hair product. Dyeing this paint allows you to achieve bright shades without harm to the hair.
- Periche is a new Spanish brand in the Russian market. The hair color of the same name contains jojoba oil and collagen for more gentle coloring.
As a clarifier can be used as a powder, and gel or cream option
- Henlic Color Cream - dye based on natural Indian henna extract gives the hair strands warm shades of honey and caramel.
Do not be afraid to experiment: a new image is always the pleasure of novelty and a sea of emotions.