Red beans came to us from the expanses of South America and India. It was there that people met with this plant, and from there it began its triumphal march around the world. Today there are many varieties and species. This plant is considered one of the most accessible sources of vegetable protein, which is perfectly absorbed by the human body. Beans, painted in red, according to scientists, differ from other varieties with a higher content of vitamins and trace elements. However, to use them safely, you should know that the product brings not only benefit but also harm.
The composition and use of red beans
Beans have long established themselves as a tasty and satisfying product. But the dishes made from it, also have a lot of useful properties. This is due to the rich vitamin and mineral composition of red bean beans.
Table: chemical composition, vitamins and calorie fresh and boiled
|Calorie content||93 kcal||99 kcal|
|Squirrels||5.25 g||1.86 g|
|Fat||0.9 g||0.32 g|
|Carbohydrates||11.6 g||4.1 g|
|Water||81.3 g||93.39 g|
|Ash||0.95 g||0.34 g|
|Thiamine (Vit. B1)||0.23 mg||0.067 mg|
|Riboflavin (Vit. B2)||0.175 mg||0.059 mg|
|Pantothenic acid (Vit. B5)||0.74 mg||0,235 mg|
|Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)||0.171 mg||0.054 mg|
|Folic acid (Vit. B9)||118 mcg||29 mcg|
|Ascorbic acid (Vit. C)||21.7 mg||6.1 mg|
|Nicotinic acid (Vit. PP)||2.28 mg||0.725 mg|
|Potassium||207 mg||98 mg|
|Calcium||43 mg||15 mg|
|Magnesium||53 mg||18 mg|
|Sodium||153 mg||51 mg|
|Phosphorus||94 mg||30 mg|
|Iron||1.57 mg||0.66 mg|
|Manganese||0.366 mg||0.123 mg|
|Copper||320 mcg||107 mcg|
|Selenium||0.6 mcg||0.6 mcg|
|Zinc||0.5 mg||0.17 mg|
Despite the fact that during heat treatment the amount of vitamins and minerals is slightly reduced, the rest is quite enough to provide her with the beneficial qualities that make red beans a welcome guest at each table.
Red beans can be called a universal product. In its composition, it contains almost all the elements necessary for a person for normal life.
- Due to the extensive list and quantity of vitamins of group B, the beans are fully capable of supporting and, if necessary, strengthening the shaky immunity.
- Since her beans are rich in fiber, constantly including this product in your diet, you can not worry about the health of the intestine. In addition to the fact that regular stools will be provided in this case, insoluble fibers will capture and bring out all the slags and toxins that are deposited on the intestinal walls. This ability can be considered as effective prevention of oncological diseases of this organ.
- The same fiber helps to stabilize the indicators of sugar levels, so the use will be useful for those who suffer from diabetes.
- It is also recommended for iron deficiency anemia, since the high iron content in these beans helps to raise hemoglobin.
- Dishes from this product have a diuretic effect. In addition, its substances contribute to the dissolution of kidney stones.
- Red beans can be the basis of the diet of those who are trying to lose weight. Low calorie and high protein content make it available for use in many diets. Equally important is the ability of the plant to serve as an excellent source of energy. That is why dishes from it will be useful for children.
- In addition to the fact that the beans of this plant are a valuable food product, they are highly in demand as a cosmetic. Vitamin B6, which contains red beans in sufficient quantities, will provide the skin with a healthy look, even if you eat dishes from it 1-2 times a week, and using it as a basis for masks, you can achieve a stunning effect.
Beans are the most popular foodstuff in the whole world, but the leaders in its consumption are the British. The amount of roasted beans consumed by the inhabitants of this kingdom exceeds the aggregate figures of all other countries.
Red beans in traditional medicine
In folk medicine, use almost all parts of the plant.
The healing properties of beans are known since ancient times. It uses almost all parts of the plant from flowers, beans and stems to the shells (valves) of the pod. But not all varieties have the same healing properties. It is believed that it is red because of the higher content of vitamins is more effective in the treatment of many diseases.
In this disease, nutritionists do not recommend using red, like any other beans, as a food product.. And this applies not only to the period of exacerbation of the disease, but also even for stable remission. Food made from beans is quite heavy and requires a large amount of gastric juice for processing. Consequently, it will irritate the pancreas. However, on the basis of this plant has long been prepared means to alleviate the condition of the patient with this disease.
- Remove the pain and reduce inflammation will help a decoction of the dry valves of this plant. For its preparation 1 tbsp. l dry powdered substance is poured a glass of boiling water, boil for 15 minutes. on low heat, wrapped, allowed to brew for another half hour and filter. Accept the infusion before meals 0.5 cups three times a day.
- Relieve the condition of chronic pancreatitis can, if you take 100-200 ml of juice, squeezed from fresh beans beans. The optimal time to prepare such a drug is a period from June to September. It is at this time that the beans begin to mature. Fresh juice is taken three times a day with the addition of 1 tbsp. l honey
With diabetes mellitus type I and II
Proper nutrition in diabetes is the foundation of good health. Especially important is the presence in the diet of a full set of vitamins and nutrients. Red beans fully meet these requirements. Possessing the richest reserves of mineral substances, it is not only able to fully satisfy the body's need, but also to influence the most important indicator in this disease - sugar level. And if in diabetes type I beans beans are desirable to use in the menu, then for a patient with type II diabetes, they are simply necessary. In some cases, the simple inclusion of such dishes in the daily diet helps to normalize sugar levels. In addition, the substances in its composition have a beneficial effect on the state of the vascular wall, strengthening it, which is also of great importance in this disease.
In addition to the presence of a variety of amino acids, unique proteins and carbohydrates in the beans of beans of this plant, doctors believe that some of its components are similar in their characteristics to the composition of inulin (plant insulin analogue) and possess its properties.
In this disease, there are no special restrictions on the preparation of red beans, but in order to get the maximum benefit, it must be boiled properly. To start, the beans need to soak. It is necessary to do this, as this reduces the concentration of substances that cause increased gas formation. Soaking time can vary from 4-6 hours to a day, but usually the beans are left in the water overnight. Soaked beans, do not drain the water, put on the fire and bring to a boil. After that, the water is drained, again poured cold and again brought to a boil. This procedure is repeated at least 3 times and in the fourth water the beans are brought to readiness. It usually takes 20-30 minutes. Salt her better after she finally cooked. It is not recommended to disturb the dish when cooking, as a last resort it should be done very carefully. A dish prepared in this way will be a good basis for garnish and will not cause discomfort in the intestines.
In diabetes, beans can be used not only as a useful food product, but also as a medicine. Broths and infusions made from beans and dried leaves of this plant can reduce the sugar indices by 30-40%. In addition, they have a diuretic effect.
- You can use a decoction of red beans. For its preparation 1 tbsp. l beans pour a glass of boiling water and incubated in a water bath for 30 minutes. After that 10 min. he is allowed to infuse, filter and take 2 tbsp. l 4 times a day.
- 15 g of ground dry sashes pour 200 ml of boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. The broth is allowed to cool and then filtered. Take before meals for 2 tbsp. l 3 times.
- In a thermos pour 2 tbsp. l crushed sashes and pour 0.5 liters of boiling water. Insist means for 4 hours, filter and take 0.5 cups before meals 2 times a day.
In case of diabetes, it is necessary to include red bean dishes in the menu.
With diseases of the stomach and intestines
If a person suffers from gastritis, ulcers of the stomach and intestines, cholecystitis, it is not recommended to use red beans as food. Still, it is quite a heavy food and for the processing of the body must make considerable efforts, and this, in turn, can provoke even greater irritation of the damaged mucous. But as a medicine for these pathologies, decoctions and infusions of beans have been known since antiquity.
- Dried bean leaves are ground to a powder. 1 tbsp. l The resulting powder is poured over 1 liter of boiling water and boiled over the slowest fire for 4 hours. After this, the medium is filtered and sipped during the day. The daily dose is 0.5 liters.
Red beans not only help get rid of kidney stones, but also remove edema, the cause of which lies in this organ.
- The infusion of bean flowers has a good diuretic effect. For its preparation, 20 g of dry matter is poured 200 ml of boiling water and infused for 10 minutes. Take it to 0.5 cups from 3 to 5 times a day on an empty stomach.
- A decoction of the bean leaves also removes excess liquid, along with which sand comes out. To prepare the infusion 1 tbsp. l pour 0.5 liters of boiling water and, wrapped, insist 1 hour. After this infusion filter and take 0.5 cups three times a day. Before you drink it, the tool should be slightly warmed up.
- To prepare the infusion, you can use a thermos. To do this, the sash is crushed, 40 g is placed in a thermos, pour 1 liter of boiling water and leave overnight. After this infusion filter and take a glass 3 times a day.
When skin lesions
- It is possible to accelerate the healing of wounds, burns, if you sprinkle them with powder prepared from dried shutters of beans. It is also recommended for use in eczema.
- With boils, red bean beans are ground into flour and, mixed with an equal amount of honey, applied to the affected area. It is necessary to continue such applications until the abscess ripens.
This product should be present in the diet of any woman.
Red beans should be present in the diet of every pregnant woman. A large amount of vitamins and trace elements is useful as a mother's body, and the developing fetus. The high content of vitamins of group B will help to cope with the manifestations of toxicosis, fiber will prevent constipation, and iron will be a good helper in the prevention of anemia. Useful and diuretic properties of this product, with which you can cope with the edema accompanying pregnancy. The special value of red beans is for those moms who have decided to abandon animal food. Its proteins are quite capable of replacing animals and allow them not to change their principles even in conditions of high demand, which is dictated by pregnancy.
But to get the benefits of these beans in full, the beans must be properly prepared. For this, it must be soaked. Since fried food is considered quite heavy, during pregnancy, preference should be given to boiled or stewed dishes. In addition, red beans perfectly complements vegetable salads.
Bean stew with vegetables
- 1 cup red beans;
- 1 onion;
- 3 tomatoes;
- 2 tbsp. l sour cream;
- 2 tbsp. l vegetable oil;
- salt, spices to taste.
Boil the beans until cooked and transfer to a deep frying pan. Add sliced vegetables, vegetable oil and sour cream. Simmer on low heat for another 30 minutes under the lid. 5 min. until ready to salt and add your favorite spices.
100 g dishes contain 80.57 kcal, including:
- protein 3.35 g;
- fat 4.06 g;
- carbohydrate 7.8 g
Red beans go well with all vegetables
Despite the fact that many consider red beans to be a product that causes increased gas formation, it is not contraindicated during lactation. Of course, if the baby is prone to colic, then you should refrain from it, but try to introduce this extremely useful product into your diet. This is usually done after the child is 4 months old. At first, only a few boiled beans are eaten. This should be done in the morning and preferably not on an empty stomach. If everything went well and the baby did not react to the new component of the menu, the portion can be slightly increased. In the event that the child did not like something (the chair was broken, colic appeared), the beans should be excluded for a few weeks, and then make another attempt.
- 1 cup red beans;
- 2 tbsp. l vegetable oil;
- 1 onion.
Soak beans for the night, and then boil until cooked. Cut onions and sauté in vegetable oil. Mix vegetables, add salt and spices to taste.
The caloric value of 100 g dishes 134 kcal, including:
- proteins 6.05 g;
- fat 6.98 g;
- carbohydrate 11.93 g
In the children's menu
Introducing a child with red beans is best after 2 years old. It is believed that by this time the baby’s intestines are sufficiently developed and ready to digest such heavy food. But still, for the first time introducing dishes with bean beans into the diet, you need to carefully monitor the reaction of the child.. If abdominal distension occurs after this, the product should be discarded for a while.
In order for the red beans to be better absorbed, it is recommended to give it to children in the form of mashed potatoes. To improve the taste there can also add other vegetables. Older children usually like bean soup.
- 300 g of red beans;
- 1 carrot;
- 1 onion;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 2 potatoes;
- 2 tbsp. l vegetable oil;
- 1 liter of vegetable or meat broth.
Pre-soaked beans for 6-8 hours set on fire and boil for about 40-60 minutes. (until such time as it becomes soft). Water is taken at the rate of 1 l per 300 g of beans. During this time, clean the vegetables, cut into strips or cubes and fry in the heated vegetable oil. After the beans have become soft, vegetables and broth are added to it. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and stew for another 15 minutes. 5 min. until ready, add bay leaf, spices to taste and chopped garlic to the soup. In the event that you intend to boil the meat soup from scratch, the beans are put into the cooking broth after it boils and the foam is removed from it.
100 g of this soup contains 44.2 kcal, including:
- proteins 2.1 g;
- fat 1.4 g;
- carbohydrate 6.08 g
From red beans you can make effective skin care products.
Beans just need to include in the diet of women. In addition to the already listed beneficial properties, it is a magic tool for the beauty of the skin. It is proved that with regular use of red beans, the complexion improves, fine wrinkles are smoothed, the skin takes on a healthy, well-groomed appearance. However, for this you can not only eat. Masks of bean puree have no less effect. 2-3 procedures per week for a month - and you will not recognize yourself. To make masks, beans are presoaked and boiled until cooked.
- For the preparation of nutritious mask 2 tbsp. l boiled red bean beans ground as small as possible, mixed with 1 tbsp. l vegetable oil (it is suitable for dry skin, for fatty oil can be replaced with kefir or sour cream with a low percentage of fat) and 1 tbsp. l lemon juice. Mask impose on 20 min. and wash off with cool water. After that, if necessary, you can use the cream.
- Clear the skin, lighten it, give a healthy look will mask, prepared from 2 tbsp. l mashed beans, 1 tbsp. l cottage cheese and 1 tbsp. l grated cucumber pulp. All the ingredients are mixed, and the resulting mass is applied to the face, neck and decollete for 15 minutes. After that, the mask is removed with a cotton pad and rinsed with warm face and then cold water.
- It is possible to provide additional nutrition to the withering skin with the help of a bean mask with an egg. And for those prone to fat, it is best to use protein, and for masks designed for dry skin - yolk. Before the procedure 2 tbsp. l boiled red bean beans rubbed and mixed with egg and 2 tsp. lemon juice. Mass impose on the prepared skin for 15-20 minutes. When the time is up, the mask is washed off with warm water.
For weight loss and diets
And, of course, it is difficult to overestimate this product to those who decided to get rid of extra pounds. It is red beans that are considered the most suitable variety for dietary nutrition. First of all, this is due to its low calorie content (boiled contains only 99 kcal). In addition, the fibers in its composition do a good job of cleansing the intestines, and due to diuretic properties, they promote the removal of excess fluid. Red bean beans perfectly satisfy hunger, which means there will be less desire to organize snacks. Глютамин, входящий в её состав, препятствует потере мышечной массы, то есть расщепляется только жировая ткань, что тоже немаловажно.
Typically, beans are used as low-calorie, but containing a large amount of protein product, in different methods of losing weight. However, there are several diets that are focused on her. One of them is designed for 1-2 weeks, during which the basis of the diet will be red beans. The diet is allowed to include fruits and vegetables, as well as lean meats and fish, which are best baked or boiled. Sugar, flour products need to be minimized. It is also desirable to abandon coffee, replacing it with unsweetened tea or freshly squeezed juices. There will not be superfluous and reasonable exercise.
If you still can not reconsider the diet, there is an easier version of losing weight. Instead of dinner, he suggests eating 1 fruit (of his choice) instead of dinner, washing it down with a glass of red bean broth. For its preparation, 1 cup of red beans for 1 hour is poured with cold water, then it is drained, and the beans are spread in already boiling water (1 l) and boiled for 30 minutes. The liquid is drained and the beans can be used for further preparation.
Beans willingly include in the diet of people seeking to lose weight
Bean Salad with Vegetables
- 1 cup boiled red beans;
- 1 sweet bell pepper;
- 2 tomatoes;
- 1 red onion;
- 2 tbsp. l vegetable oil;
- 1 tbsp. l wine or apple vinegar;
- 1 bunch of basil;
- salt, spices to taste.
Beans, along with chopped vegetables, are placed in a deep salad bowl, basil, salt, spices and vegetable oil mixed with vinegar are added to the table. All neatly mixed.
100 g of lettuce will keep 73.77 kcal, including:
- proteins 3.24 g;
- fat 3.25 g;
- carbohydrate 8.02 g
Contraindications and possible harm
Fresh red beans contain toxic substances that are destroyed by heat treatment. Therefore, they can not be eaten raw. In order to get rid of substances that cause flatulence, beans are recommended to soak for at least 1 hour. The optimal soaking time is 6-8 hours.
Red beans are not recommended for people suffering from diseases of the stomach and intestines (gastritis, cholecystitis, peptic ulcer, colitis) in the diet. Also, do not get involved in this product for older people. This is due to the large number of purine compounds that can cause exacerbation of gout and nephritis.
In the bean puree, you can add finely chopped and fried onions, and then use it as a filling for the pies! My grandmother did such things, very tasty.
I love beans in any form and consider it an absolute substitute for protein for those who do not eat meat. Personally, I can eat boiled beans without any additives, just by sprinkling a drop of olive oil and sprinkling with a handful of greens - dill, parsley, cilantro. On request - freshly ground pepper. This is delicious!
I love red and white beans, and often include it in my diet, soups, salads, and just boiled as a side dish. But somehow they didn’t like love the green beans, although it was much faster to cook it.
Red beans, compared with other varieties of this plant has a large set of vitamins and minerals, but it is also considered the most toxic product. Therefore, it is important to remember that the beans of this plant can not be eaten raw, and before cooking they need to be soaked for at least one hour. Observing these simple rules you can get the necessary support for the body and cope with many diseases.