Gluten or gluten is a sticky protein found in grains of cereals. There is a lot of talk and controversy about him, but dietitians haven’t agreed on whether it is necessary to stick to a gluten-free diet, especially as a diet for weight loss.
What is the essence of a gluten-free (anti-gluten) diet
Gluten-free diet involves a complete rejection of products containing gluten. It was originally developed for patients who are allergic to gluten or celiac disease. Gluten-free abstinence is the only globally accepted treatment for this disease. The use of wheat, rye and barley in any form for this group of the population (and, according to statistics, 1% of all people living on the globe) causes an increased risk of complications, even death.
Celiac disease is a congenital genetic disease, a chronic disorder of the small intestine, consisting of gluten intolerance.
Recently, more and more people are using a gluten-free diet to lose weight. On it you can really lose weight, but under the condition of its observance for at least a month. During this period, the body will have time to clear the accumulated unwanted substances without harm to health. But is it worth to follow this diet for life?
Gluten gives the wheat and rye dough a pleasant elasticity, allows you to sculpt buns and cakes of the most different forms, makes shopping bread and homemade buns soft and fresh
Opinion of doctors about gluten-free nutrition
Doctors and scientists still can not give a definite answer, which in gluten is more - benefit or harm, because not a single modern cereal culture has passed the experiments of genetic engineering.
American doctor Frank Lipman is an ardent supporter of a gluten-free diet. He believes that every person needs a gluten-free reboot, since the uncontrolled use of gluten in many products leads to an increase in the number of people with celiac disease.
Frank Lipman, doctor of the Eleven Wellness Clinic, believes that 99% of the population of our planet suffers from gluten intolerance to one degree or another.
Russian doctor-gastroenterologist, doctor of medical sciences M. A. Livzan does not consider it justified to refuse bread without medical indications.
Video: M. A. Livzan on a gluten-free diet.
A. L. Myasnikov - MD, scientist and broadcaster, recommends, for health-improving purposes, that products containing gluten be discarded for 3–4 weeks.
Video: celiac disease or celiac diseaseMost doctors agree that a long-term or complete rejection of cereals without medical indications is fraught with negative consequences and can bring more harm than good to the body. The danger is to reduce the level of vital substances:
- folic acid
To whom the diet is contraindicated
If a patient has not been diagnosed with celiac disease, then a gluten-free diet is not recommended. It is also harmful:
- people who have experienced hormonal changes that led to a decrease in mental activity;
- pregnant and lactating women;
- women in the period of menopause;
- with anorexia, obesity, diabetes;
- with thyroiditis;
- in cardiovascular diseases, any adverse reaction from the gastrointestinal tract;
- in case of disorders of psycho-emotional state;
- for any acute or chronic diseases;
- after operations and during the rehabilitation period;
- children, adolescents, the elderly.
What products are excluded
The greatest amount of gluten is found in bakery products made from wheat and rye, which are completely excluded for celiac disease.
The greatest amounts of gluten contain:
Therefore, it is necessary to remove from the diet all the products of these grains, namely:
- dry breakfasts;
- beer and kvass.
In addition, hidden gluten is contained in many products in which it should not be at all. Due to the fact that gluten adds volume to products, the food industry actively exploits this property and adds gluten to:
- ice cream;
- chewing gum;
- canned food;
- bouillon cubes;
- instant coffee and cocoa;
- packaged juices and tea.
Even in toothpaste, mouth rinses, many medications and dietary supplements, gluten can be found as a filler.
Therefore, people for whom the exclusion of gluten from the diet is a matter of life and death, you have to carefully study the labels of each product.
What products are allowed
A wide range of products labeled "gluten-free", including pasta, cereals, breakfast cereals, flour, from which you can make any pastries yourself, appeared on the shelves of healthy food in stores. This marking means that the gluten content here does not exceed the maximum permissible level - 20 mg / kg. Such a dose excludes the possibility of an autoimmune reaction, even in people with a strong sensitivity to this component.
Gluten-free products are labeled accordingly, in English it looks like this: gluten free products
Often, the label "does not contain gluten" is only a marketing ploy to attract customers and is placed on products that do not contain gluten in principle. So manufacturers are trying to justify a more expensive, compared to competitors, the price of goods.
In addition to gluten-free foods, it is allowed to eat on a gluten-free diet:
- vegetables, including potatoes;
- sunflower seeds;
- chilled meat and fish;
- cottage cheese;
- vegetable and butter;
- leaf tea;
- natural coffee and cocoa.
Not all cereals and starch contain gluten, therefore it is allowed:
- flax seed;
- potato starch.
Permitted Products - Photo Gallery
- All vegetables contain vitamins, fiber, minerals, pectin, organic acids.
- Fruits contain a large amount of vitamins and minerals that support the overall tone of the body, their use provides regular prevention and treatment of many diseases
- Legumes are the optimal product for the diet and proper daily diet of a healthy person.
- Chicken egg is rich in large amounts of protein, which is perfectly absorbed by the body
- Fish is a very valuable food: it contains a large amount of omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, beta-carotene
- Milk contains a lot of useful substances for humans: in addition to proteins, fats, carbohydrates, it is rich in vitamins, amino acids and other essential elements for the body
- The benefits of olive oil in the high content of vitamins, fatty acids and other substances important for the health of the body
- Buckwheat is rich in amino acids, fiber, phospholipids and omega-3 fatty acids
Danger of exclusion of gluten by manufacturers
Gluten gives the product viscosity and elasticity. And many manufacturers, excluding gluten, replace it with starches, usually potato, rice or corn. Starch is refined carbohydrates that dramatically increase blood sugar and contribute to obesity. In addition, gluten-free foods contain more fat and sugar.
As a result, a long-term abandonment of gluten-free products instead of losing weight can lead to the opposite effect and harm health. Conclusion - not all products labeled "gluten-free" are useful.
Basic principles of a gluten-free diet for weight loss
Gluten-free diet is quite diverse and will not be harmful if its basic principles are properly followed:
- consult with a doctor before starting a diet;
- Do not follow a diet for more than 1 month. The course can be conducted 1 time in half a year;
- break the entire daily diet into 4-5 receptions;
- additionally take support complexes of vitamins and minerals, in particular, iron, folic acid, calcium and vitamin B12;
- consume more fiber from whole rice, meat, potatoes, and fresh vegetables;
- drink at least 2 liters of water during the day;
- play sports for a more pronounced effect.
Video: the main mistakes gluten-free diet
Diet for anti-gluten diet
For a gluten-free diet, there are a large number of recipes with foods that do not contain gluten.
Suitable for breakfast:
- natural cottage cheese with fresh fruits or berries;
- rice porrige;
- salad of carrots, dried fruit and nuts;
- fried eggs or scrambled eggs;
- pastries or cornmeal crisps;
- natural honey;
- sour cream;
- natural yogurts without additives;
- bread or pancakes on buckwheat flour.
Eggs and vegetables - a wonderful full gluten free breakfast
Recipe: Buckwheat Fritters
To make pancakes you will need:
- 300 grams of buckwheat flour;
- 1 glass of milk;
- 1/2 tsp soda;
- 2 tsp. olive oil;
- 2 eggs;
- 1 tbsp. l Sahara;
- 150 ml of water;
- a pinch of salt.
- In a deep bowl pour the flour, add salt, sugar, mix thoroughly.
- Separately, beat the eggs with a fork or whisk, add olive oil, gradually pour in water and milk.
- Combine with flour, knead the dough.
- Put the dough in the refrigerator for half an hour, covered with a lid.
- After 30 minutes, get the dough. Fry on both sides to a brown crust on a preheated frying pan.
If desired, milk can be replaced with kefir.
For first courses fit:
- soups in vegetable broth, can be supplemented with meatballs;
- pea or lentil soup;
- soup in meat broth.
As a main dish you can cook:
- chilled meat patties;
- chicken fillet or turkey fillet;
- beans in tomato sauce;
- canned stewed meat;
- pancakes on buckwheat flour;
- baked fish
For a side dish fit:
- baked potato;
- boiled rice;
- boiled beans or peas
You can add lunch with a salad of fresh vegetables, such as cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, seasoned with vegetable oil or low-fat sour cream.
Baked fish and vegetables - a source of polyunsaturated fatty acids and fiber, will perfectly fit into the diet of the gluten-free diet.
In the afternoon snack you can eat:
- buckwheat or corn flour pastries;
- fresh fruit salad, seasoned with freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice or natural yogurt without additives;
- baked apple;
- fresh fruit jelly;
- boiled egg.
Video: Cooking Gluten Free Coconut Cookies
For a light dinner fit:
- boiled beet salad seasoned with garlic and low-fat sour cream;
- potato pancakes with rice flour;
- cottage cheese casserole with rice flour;
- baked potato with cheese;
- buckwheat porridge;
- millet porridge with the addition of nuts and dried fruit.
Recipe: Cottage Cheese Casserole with Rice Flour
For the dough will need:
- 400 g of cottage cheese;
- 50 g (5 tbsp. L.) Rice flour;
- 50 ml of cream;
- 2 eggs;
- 2 bananas;
- salt and sugar to taste.
- Peel bananas, mash with a fork until gruel is formed.
- Separately, beat the eggs with a fork or whisk, add flour, salt, sugar, cream.
- Connect with a banana.
- Add cottage cheese, mix everything thoroughly.
- Put the resulting mass on a greased baking sheet.
- Put in a preheated oven for 45 minutes.
The finished casserole on top can be smeared with sour cream and garnished with any fresh / fresh-frozen berries or fruits.
Table: approximate weekly high protein menu with a gluten free diet
|Afternoon tea and |
How to get out of the diet
In order to keep the result and not to recapture the pounds dropped during the diet, it is important to get out of the diet correctly. Therefore, the old diet should be returned gradually, starting with less high-calorie foods and gradually adding more high-calorie foods.
The basis of the diet should be fresh vegetables, fruits, dietary meat. It is important to continue to observe the drinking regime, drinking at least 2 liters of plain water per day, and fractional meals - eat in small portions 4-5 times a day.
You should also not give up physical activity, it is necessary to train regularly. If after losing weight the skin begins to sag, it makes sense to introduce strength training, to undergo a course of massage. Well visit to the pool and sauna.
Each person must choose for himself exactly the kind of physical activity that suits him for health reasons and based on personal preferences.
Feedback and results from people
Advantages: extra pounds and volumes go away, lightness in the body. Disadvantages: expensive. I sat on a hard gluten-free diet a little - about 2 weeks, I simply couldn’t stand it anymore ... In fact, this diet is hard, especially if everyone else at home eats regular food when there are cookies or bread on the table. I lasted only 2 weeks, then I just limited myself, but moderately. The complexity of glucose-free is that if you buy, for example, buckwheat or rice cakes or flour from these cereals, it turns out to be expensive. But I dropped the weight, or rather I was just blown away, and lightness appeared in my body. Now I turned the GW, so again gained extra kg. I think from time to time at least a week to sit on a gluten-free diet. I also discovered a coffee grinder, with which you can grind buckwheat or rice and bake delicious pastries, there are many such recipes on the Internet now.Elmira Isakova
I have long been overweight. I went to the gym, ran, played sports, but it was nothing. Naturally, I began to look for a diet. A friend recommended a gluten-free diet, and I decided to try. I was very glad that you can eat honey, I just love him very much. I spent a month on this diet, and when I looked at the results, I was very surprised. I lost weight from 84 to 79 kg. This is already the second month and the result is obvious. In short, girls, I advise everyone!Irina_26
At first, of course, I did not believe in the effectiveness of the gluten-free diet, because I tried different ones and realized that I was wasting my time. And gained weight from a sedentary lifestyle, and simply did not follow the diet. Could afford and fat, and sweet, and all this even before bedtime! But after this diet (a friend advised me to her) for six weeks I lost 6 kilograms !!Elena_24
On the left - before the start of the diet, on the right - after exclusion from the diet of products containing gluten
Gluten-free diet is acceptable to apply for weight loss to healthy people, but to comply with it without harm to health can be no more than a month. Weight reduction occurs due to the refusal not so much of gluten, as of refined carbohydrates contained in fast food, sausages, yogurt and cottage cheese with the addition of vegetable fats and thickeners, breakfast cereals, ready-made meals, canned drinks, confectionery and other harmful products, including those containing gluten.