It is worth the fall how to enter into your rights, like real rivers of mulled wine spill through the streets of Europe. It is difficult to find a resident of the Old World, who in these dull days would deny himself the pleasure to occasionally take in a cafe a cup of hot wine, flavored with spices and fruit. And although in Russia the glorious drink is not equally wildly popular, we know it well and regularly taste it. To do this, do not even need to look for a suitable institution! Mulled wine does not cost anything to cook on its own, so as to slowly, with gusto, enjoy it in the circle of relatives and friends. We share recipes for preparing the most delicious drink at home!
A bit of history
The history of mulled wine is foggy, mysterious and rooted in the deep past. It is believed that the Romans started the culture of consumption of this drink, at the feasts of which the nobility served seasoned with precious spices, wine diluted with water and sweetened with fragrant honey. (The usual fortified wines were too coarse for the refined taste of the patricians and were considered the lot of the barbarians.)
Were the culinary studies of the Romans known to the inhabitants of medieval Europe, or did they come up with the idea of mixing wine with spices with their minds, it remains only to guess, but a similar drink appeared among them. And since the much cooler climate dictated its conditions, the Europeans decided to warm up the spicy wine, killing two birds with one stone. Firstly, the sweet drink became more and more useful, turning into an excellent cure for colds, and secondly, in hot wine, the spices revealed their aromas more strongly and began to really smell sweet.
It is not by chance that the drink became especially popular in the northern countries.
And in the XIII-XVII century, a drink was born that today bears the name of classic mulled wine and the status of an indispensable attribute of Christmas holidays. By the way, although many northern countries could argue for the right to be called their historical homeland, the advantage is clearly on the German side, since historians produce the word “mulled wine” from the German “glühenden wein” - a hot, glowing wine.
Calorie and nutritional value of the Christmas drink
Like any successful discovery, the classic recipe of mulled wine quickly acquired dozens and even hundreds of different variations, so we can talk about its nutritional value only conditionally. Although in any case it will be quite high - it was not for nothing that this drink was recommended to be used not only by the sick, but also by the people who have recently recovered from the illness in order to restore vitality as soon as possible. We give only approximate figures.
- Mulled wine, prepared according to the classic recipe (red wine, sugar, spices), will contain about 136 Kcal per 100 ml.
- Drinking with honey and dried fruit, will pull 170-180 Kcal.
- The calorie content of mulled wine with egg yolks will increase by another 10-15 units.
Depending on the set of ingredients, the nutritional value of “hot wine” will range from 100 to 250 Kcal, so it is difficult to rank it as a diet drink. However, take into account the fact that every hundred calories will have even more minerals, vitamins and other nutrients that will always be useful to the body. The main thing is not to overdo it with the amount of alcohol consumed: after all, it is alcohol and you cannot be zealous with it.
Necessary components for cooking at home
A single recipe for mulled wine does not exist. Everyone is free to "sculpt" him to his taste, combining those ingredients that he likes more. But there are several mandatory components, without which the famous drink does not cook.
The main components of the drink - wine and spices
Wine. Choose rare collection varieties for mulled wine is not worth it - they are good in themselves and do not need a bright aroma of spices and fruit flavor. But you can not save on the base component, because it will determine the final result. Therefore, take the usual good table wine: Cahors, Kindzmarauli, Crimean sommelier. Most often, dry or semi-dry red is used, but some recipes have nothing against white. But sweet dessert wines for the Christmas drink are not recommended. Like fortified ones: your task is to get pleasure, not a headache and hangover.
Spices. Beginners can buy in the supermarket a ready-made set of spices for mulled wine, but true connoisseurs will never stoop to this. They make the bouquet for their Christmas drink themselves, combining cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, anise, star anise, saffron, ginger, black, allspice and hot pepper, nutmeg, bay leaf, mint and many other things in different proportions.
Water. The main task of mulled wine is to warm you, at the same time having pleased you with a pleasant taste and aroma. He doesn’t need any extra strength, so many people add ordinary drinking water or fruit juice to the drink. For each liter of wine you need about 200 ml of water.
Honey. It needs quite a bit, only to slightly sweeten the wine. No honey? Feel free to replace it with regular, and better brown cane sugar - it will inform the drink of a special, unique flavor.
Other alcohol. To heighten the warming effect and fun paired with wine often go strong additives: rum, brandy, whiskey, brandy, port wine or liqueur. Here everything remains at your discretion. Want to raise the degree of your Christmas drink, dilute it with something more zazoristym, do not want - do not dilute.
In addition to spices, new aromatic and flavor notes of mulled wine will give raisins, nuts, berries, fruits, lemon or orange zest. But do not be too clever with the composition, you are preparing a Christmas hot wine, and not a hodgepodge of all that came handy!
5 rules of mulled wine
Anyone can boil wine on the stove and spice up sugar and sugar in it, but a real legendary drink of the Old World cannot be obtained this way. It requires strict adherence to once and for all established standards.
- Cook over low heat. Spices will spend more time in slowly warming up wine and give it all its flavor. Or, first, properly boil the spices with sugar in water, getting a kind of flavored syrup, and then pour it into the wine heated over high heat.
- Do not boil mulled wine, this will completely spoil its taste. If you do not tolerate imperfections, get a special thermometer and bring the drink exactly to a temperature of 70-80º, no more and no less. If there are no complicated culinary devices in your kitchen, trust your own language: when taking samples, the wine should be hot, but not burning.
- Want to add honey to the pan? Do it at the very end. The less time he spends in hot wine, the more useful properties he will save.
- Lemon and orange zest do not leave in the drink for a long time, otherwise it will start to taste bitter. And from the apples before cooking, remove the bones, but do not touch the peel. The pieces of fruit will fall apart and lose their attractive appearance.
- Use cinnamon sticks and clove buds. Powdered spices will make the drink cloudy.
Do not let the mulled wine cool down! Boil it immediately for a certain number of people and drink it hot.
How and with what to serve the blazing wine
From which to drink fragrant wine, depends on the situation. At the party, high transparent glasses will be appropriate - such will keep the drink hot longer, and at the same time allow you to admire its juicy color and enjoy the smell. At home, with family or alone with your beloved, you can use ceramic mugs. They are no worse than keeping the temperature of mulled wine, and they can also add a touch of peculiar "village" romance to your evening. Well, if you decide to cook mulled wine in the campaign, the dishes have no meaning at all. The forest, the fire and the darkening sky will create the necessary surroundings without any extra effort on your part.
The way of serving is not as important as the festive atmosphere at the table.
What is mulled wine served with? Many options:
- with ice cream;
- with chocolate, nougat and nuts;
- with grapes, tangerines and apples baked in honey;
- with cakes, cookies, crackers, pieces of fruit pie and meringues;
- with tartlets and canapés of various composition, from sweet to spicy;
- with cheese sticks and garlic buns;
- with cheese, but not too fragrant - it will kill the fragrance of mulled wine;
- with grilled meat, poultry or game;
- with fish dishes, especially when it comes to mulled wine on white wine.
Cheese fondue can be an interesting option for a party.
- dry white wine - 250-300 ml;
- Swiss cheese - 400 g;
- starch - 2-3 tbsp. l .;
- lemon juice to taste;
- garlic - 1-2 cloves;
- dried or sliced bread or ham.
- Cheese rub on a medium grater.
Better to take two kinds of cheese - for example, Emmental and Gruyere
- Grease the walls of the pot from the inside with a peeled and cut garlic clove.
The delicate smell of garlic will make the dish more appetizing
- Dissolve the starch in the wine - this will provide the desired thickness of the finished dish.
You can do without starch, your fondue will only get a little more liquid
- Set the pot over the burner, pour the wine with lemon juice into it and put the cheese.
Fondue is both tasty and interesting and romantic
- Wait for the mixture in the pot to melt and become homogeneous, and convene the guests to the fire. Let them put bread or ham on skewers, dip them in a pot and wash it all down with mulled wine.
Dried bread slices with cheese serve as a great snack
Want something more refined? Prepare original rosemary cookies.
- water - 2 tbsp. l .;
- wheat flour - 150 g;
- olive oil - 2 tbsp. l .;
- milk - a few spoons;
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp. l .;
- fresh rosemary - a couple of twigs;
- With rosemary, tear off the leaves and chop them finely to get 1 tbsp. l raw materials.
Popular weed is often found in savory pastry recipes.
- Combine it with flour, add butter, lemon juice and water. The amount of the latter can be changed depending on whether the dough is too dry or thin. Knead everything until smooth.
The dough will turn out elastic and elastic.
- Put the dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
Let the “stocking” rest for about 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough into a layer, cut into slices, brush with milk and lightly salted.
Do not forget to cover the baking sheet with baking paper or grease
- Bake cookies in an oven preheated to 180º for 10-15 minutes.
Original and fragrant snack is ready
Step-by-step cooking recipes
Enough has been said about how to brew mulled wine. Let's get straight to the point?
Classic with red wine: nothing extra
They say no one treats mulled wine with such reverent love as the Germans. From October to March, the teasing aroma of "burning wine" always hovers over every fair or festival, and at Christmas it is brewed in such quantities that it only remains to be given how, by January, the red wine does not dry out in Germany. However, what to be surprised? After all, it was in this country that the oldest recipe of classic mulled wine, known to the world, was found, numbering as many as 175 years old!
We will not argue that the option proposed below is the same one, but, in any case, in Germany it is one of the most common and beloved ones.
You will need:
- dry red wine - 750 ml;
- sugar - 3 tbsp. l .;
- cinnamon - 3 sticks;
- carnation - 7 pcs .;
- nutmeg - 0.25 tsp;
- First of all, pour the wine into the pan and heat it a little.
Wine should not be super expensive, but good
- Cut into circles well washed lemon.
Try to make the slices not too thin, but not too thick.
- As soon as the liquid becomes warm, throw all the prepared spices, sugar, lemon into it and continue to cook the delicious mixture, slowly stirring it with a wooden spoon. Your task is to bring the temperature of the future drink to the prescribed 70-80º and at the same time not allow it to boil.
Remember, wine should not boil!
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mulled wine stand under the lid for 10-15 minutes. Not longer, otherwise the drink will inadmissibly cool!
The lid will keep you warm and allow the drink to infuse better.
- Serve the mulled wine strained, poured into beautiful glasses and decorated with lemon slices and cinnamon sticks.
Drink mulled wine is required immediately
To insist that mulled wine does not cool down more than it should, wrap the saucepan in a warm towel or cover it with a blanket.
Variations on the topic: 10 recipes of mulled wine for every taste
One recipe, be it the most classic and perfectly verified, will never satisfy everyone. Bold experiments and flight of fancy in cooking are always welcome, and when cooking mulled wine it is doubly. You also do not want to freeze on a single version? Then read on.
With apple and cinnamon
Cinnamon is one of the most frequent ingredients of "Christmas wine", it is very fragrant. But in the company of an apple, this spice will give the drink a truly festive, tasty flavor, evoking memories of childhood, baked sweet fruits and family gatherings.
You will need:
- red wine - 1 l;
- Apple - 2 pcs .;
- orange - 1 pc .;
- sugar - 100 g;
- Carnation - 5 pcs .;
- cinnamon - 2-3 sticks;
- black pepper - 15-20 pcs.
- Put the pot of wine on a small fire and heat slightly.
It all starts with wine
- Apples cut into cubes of medium size, after removing the core.
You don't need sunflower seeds, and the peel comes in handy.
- Orange wash and cut into circles with peel.
Bones better to remove
- Add apples, oranges, herbs, spices and sugar to warm wine. Bring your brew almost to a boil, but do not boil - just put out the fire and let the mulled wine stand on the stove for a quarter of an hour.
Think how many vitamins are in such a drink!
- Strain the finished drink and serve with mugs of fresh oranges.
Festive mood will be provided to you
With white wine and honey
Tradition requires the use of mulled wine red wine, but some rules are definitely created for that. to break them. Take a bottle of white and see what happens.
You will need:
- dry white wine - 700-750 ml;
- water - 150 ml;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- orange - 1 pc .;
- honey - 1 tbsp. l .;
- carnation - 3-4 buds;
- a little cardamom;
- cinnamon - 1 stick;
- dry lemon balm is a pinch.
- Pour water into a small saucepan, add cinnamon and cloves and bring everything to a boil, and then quench the fire and let the broth cool until completely cool.
Here you can boil water
- Wash lemon and orange with a brush and slice arbitrarily along with the peel.Citrus is a vitamin C, pleasant aroma and delicate sour drink.
- Take a bigger pot, fill it with wine, add spiced water, pieces of fruit, honey.
First of all, spices and fruits, at the last - honey
- Heat mulled wine to a temperature of 70-80º, remove the pan from the stove, cover with a lid and let stand for another 15 minutes.
As always, give the drink a brew.
- Serve with citrus slices and cinnamon sticks.
The drink will be transparent and attractive.
3-4 Art. l orange liqueur or a glass of freshly squeezed citrus juice, added at the end of cooking, will make the taste of the drink much richer.
Video: with orange, lemon and ginger
Initially, the wine heated with spices was considered not as a way to soak the throat, but as an effective cure for the common cold. Mulled wine perfectly warms, strengthens the immune system and fills the body with vitamins and minerals. And if you add honey, ginger or silent rum, the anti-cold properties of the drink will immediately increase.
You will need:
- dry white wine - 750 ml;
- white rum - 250 ml;
- lemon - 0.5 pcs .;
- raisins - 6 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 7 tbsp. l .;
- cinnamon - 1 stick;
- carnation - 4-5 buds.
- Raisin pour rum for 30-40 minutes before you take to cook mulled wine.
Raisins should be soaked with alcohol
- You do not need lemon pulp, but remove the zest with a sharp knife and cut into large pieces. However, some squeeze the juice from the pulp and add it to the finished drink, so that you can do according to your tastes.
If you do not like bitterness in mulled wine, remove the zest immediately after the fire is extinguished.
- Pour the wine in the pan, add the zest, sugar, pressed raisins, spices and put everything on a small fire.Raisins will add sweetness, and zest - bitterness
- Heat the drink properly, stirring it with a spoon, and then, as in all previous recipes, remove the pan from the stove and let the mulled wine brew for a few minutes under the lid and towel.
As soon as the wine warms up, cover it with a lid and extinguish the fire
- Pour rum into portioned cups, add strained mulled wine and serve.
On a holiday, you can afford something stronger
Non-alcoholic with juice
According to the rules, mulled wine has the right to be called such only if it has a strength of at least 7%, otherwise it is no longer a “hot wine”, but compote. But not everyone can afford alcohol! Children, expectant mothers, ulcers, sober, people undergoing antibiotic treatment ... Well, shouldn't they all be pampered with a festive drink for the New Year or Christmas ?! There is no such injustice!
You will need:
- fruit or berry juice - 600-700 ml;
- water - 100 ml;
- Apple - 1 pc .;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- orange - 1 pc .;
- raisins - 2 tbsp. l .;
- cinnamon - 1 tsp;
- carnation - 4-5 buds;
- allspice - 3-4 peas;
- on a small pinch of ginger and cardamom;
- sugar - from 1 tbsp. l up to 100 g depending on how sweet you want to get. But do not forget that grape juice itself contains a lot of natural sugars.
- Orange and lemon wash and rub with each fruit 2 tbsp. l peel.
Zest can not rub, and remove from fruit and cut into slices
- Slice the apple.
It is better to choose fruits stronger, such long do not boil soft
- Put the saucepan on the water on a small fire, add the zest, raisins, sugar and all the spices to it. Bring to a boil and wait until the broth has cooled completely - this will allow it to infuse well.
First make a fragrant infusion of spices and zest.
- Pour juice into a saucepan with fragrant water, drop apples, heat the mixture again almost to boiling, cover, extinguish the fire and let the mulled wine brew for 5-10 minutes.
Juice, like wine, does not need to boil
- Strain the drink and proceed to tasting.
Juice can be any, but cherry and cranberry are especially good for mulled wine.
Video: on the hibiscus tea
Mulled wine in Czech in a multicooker
Although the ancestors of modern Europeans, preparing their fragrant drink, did without new-fashioned technical devices, this is not forbidden to us. Moreover, the multivarka, warming the wine evenly at a given temperature, makes the spices give it all its flavor and does not degrade the taste of the drink. For example, it is excellent in her mulled wine in Czech.
You will need:
- semi-dry or dry red wine - 750 ml;
- water - 250 ml;
- sugar - 1 tbsp. l .;
- vanilla sugar - 1 tsp;
- Orange, lemon or mandarin - 1-2 pcs.
- Carnation - 5-8 pcs .;
- cinnamon - 3 sticks;
- walnuts - 5 pcs .;
- ginger - 1 tsp;
- star star
- Citrus slices cut into quarters.
If you will use tangerines, take 2-3 things instead of 1
- Free from the kernels of nuts from the shell and partitions.
The nucleoli must be clean
- Pour wine into the multicooker bowl and place all the other ingredients next.
With the slow cooker, do not be afraid that the wine boils
- Set the heating mode and time 1 hour.
A reasonable technique will have a mode for every occasion.
- As soon as the multicooker signals that its work is finished, record 10 minutes. This time is enough for mulled wine to infuse and not cool under the closed lid. It remains only to strain it through a strainer and serve guests.
In clay cups mulled wine acquires some special charm
Coffee drink in the microwave
If you do not want to wait until the multicooker copes with its task or stands above the saucepan heated on the stove, use another kitchen assistant - a microwave. You can adapt to it any of the recipes known to you and get a delicious mulled wine without spending an extra minute. But we advise you still do not regret the time and brew strong coffee in advance. For true connoisseurs of invigorating drink, this recipe will be a real find.
You will need:
- red wine - 750 ml;
- coffee - 300 ml;
- Cognac - 150 ml;
- sugar - 150 g;
- carnation - 6 buds;
- cinnamon - 1 stick;
- nutmeg - pinch.
- Pour all ingredients except cognac into a glass bowl, mix and place in the microwave.
You do remember that not all dishes will fit for the microwave?
- Heat the beverage at full capacity for 2-3 minutes.
Modern technical devices perfectly save time
- Add brandy to the container, cover it with a lid or wrap with cling film and let stand 5-7 minutes, and then warm it up again for 2 minutes. And you can drink your coffee mulled wine!
Not a bad start to Sunday
Video: hiking mulled wine on the fire
Sweet bonus: berry pleasure
Want to remember about summer in the middle of winter? Frozen berries, some wine. A little bit of spice and you're on target!
You will need:
- dry red wine - 500 ml;
- strawberries - 100 g;
- blackberries - 50 g;
- berry jam - 60 g;
- cinnamon - 1 pc .;
- peppermint - to taste;
- saffron - pinch;
- lemon - a few cloves;
- honey - to taste.
- Thaw berries.
Berry platter choose to your taste
- Mix the wine with jam, spices, honey, berries and lemon slices, and then slowly heat it over low heat.
What is mulled wine without spices and sweet honey spirit?
- Bring the drink to a temperature of 70-80 º, extinguish the fire and let the mulled wine brew for a quarter of an hour.
If the berries are poorly thawed, they will slow down the cooking process
- Ready mulled wine strain.
Lemon, berries and spices need to be removed
- Serve in tall glasses, throwing 4-5 berries thawed into each.
A slice of summer in the middle of winter? Easily!
You can cook mulled wine with anything. With red and white wine. With berries and fruits. On juice instead of alcohol. With any spices, brown and white sugar, honey, raisins, nuts. If a recipe does not quite satisfy your tastes, there is nothing easier to bring it to perfection - just exclude ingredients that you don’t like, and add your favorite ones instead. And enjoy the result.