"Prague" - the most chocolate of the cakes of the Soviet period. Together with "Kiev", "Flight" and many others, he was considered the pastry masterpiece of that time and still has not lost its popularity. The original recipe has always been sought to repeat at home, each time bringing something new into it.
A bit of history
The name of the cake is connected not with the capital of the Czech state, but with the eponymous Moscow restaurant. But he is directly related to the Czech Republic. In 1955, the Prague restaurant opened in Arbat, specializing in the cuisine of this friendly country.
Czech and Soviet chefs often made mutual trips to exchange experiences. According to the result of one of them, the recipe for this dessert was born. Its appearance is associated with the name of Vladimir Guralnik, who was then the head of the restaurant’s pastry shop.
Cake "Sacher" - a prototype of the cake "Prague"
And the ancestor of "Prague" can be considered the Austrian cake "Sacher", but with a simplified and adapted to the Soviet realities of the recipe. Anyway, the Muscovites liked the chocolate taste of the dessert so much that there were queues behind it, despite the high price.
This is interesting: the “Sacher” cake was not stratified with cream, its cakes were soaked with apricot syrup. He was added to the icing.
The recipe has spread throughout the USSR, where it is still popular. But it was believed that the real cake "Prague" is made only in the eponymous restaurant.
Dessert differs from other cakes of the Soviet period in that all its components were chocolate: cakes, cream, frosting. And only the top layer was covered with apricot confiture, bringing a fresh touch and tingling chocolate flavor of the cake.
Top and side surfaces of the cake are covered with apricot jam
Despite the simple recipe of the original cake, to play it you need to know some of the nuances.
The secrets of delicious baking
How successful the dessert will turn out depends on the quality of the products it contains. Use only fresh eggs, do not try to replace butter with margarine, take natural chocolate, do not use a drink with additives instead of cocoa. Carefully choose condensed milk, it should not contain vegetable fat.
Choose high-quality products, the taste of the finished product depends on it
The basis of any cake - the dough and cakes from it. Unsuccessful sponge cake can ruin the dessert and negate all your efforts.
How to cook the right cake layers
- Cakes for an authentic cake made from sponge cake, but with the addition of butter. As a result, the base is obtained and air, and at the same time rich.
- Beat the yolks and whites separately, and then connect. So baking will be easier and more airy.
To make a sponge cake fluffy, whites and yolks should be whipped separately.
- Mix flour with cocoa and sift several times, and then add to the dough. This will get rid of lumps and enrich the products with oxygen.
- Some recipes include baking powder or baking soda in the dough for greater lightness.
- After baking the biscuit, let it cool in the oven, and then remove it from the mold and leave for several hours to ripen.
After removing the biscuit from the mold, it should be allowed to ripen within a few hours.
Modern variations include adding sour cream, condensed milk to the dough or replacing butter with vegetable. This is a departure from the canon, but why not. The main thing, do not forget to add to the cocoa dough, because the essence of "Prague" in its chocolate.
Tip! A regular thread will help to cut the biscuit smoothly. Mark the slits on the sides with a knife, insert a thread into them and pull towards yourself.
No matter how good the foundation is, without cream it is just a cupcake.
Popular creams for "Prague"
- The correct filling must be chocolate. In the classic version, it is oil-brewed on the basis of condensed milk.
- The modern reading of the traditional recipe has made its own adjustments. Custard is often prepared without condensed milk, in ordinary milk.
- Butter cream with condensed milk significantly reduces the cooking time, just beat the butter with condensed milk and cocoa, and the cream is ready.
- Opponents of butter creams even use sour cream, thus reducing the calories in the dessert and facilitating the cooking process.
Whichever option you prefer, do not forget to add cocoa in the filling. After all, the essence of "Prague" in its chocolate.
Several recipes for the cake "Prague"
To understand why this chocolate delicacy is so fond of, you need to try a cake made according to an original recipe. He will open a selection.
Old recipe according to GOST with photo
Let's start with a biscuit, for it we need:
- eggs - 6 pieces;
- flour -115 g;
- sugar - 150 g;
- cocoa - 25 g;
- butter - 40 g
- Separate the whites from the yolks.
Separate the whites from the yolks
- Beat the whites in a strong foam with 1/2 sugar.
Squirrels whip in a strong foam and a half sugar
- Separately, rub the yolks with the second half of sugar to a white thick foam.
Sugar yolks with white foam
- Combine both masses, mix gently so that the proteins do not settle.
Mix both masses gently, but do not whisk.
- Mix flour with cocoa and sift into the egg blank, carefully combine movements from the bottom up.
Mix the flour with cocoa and sift several times through a sieve.
- Enter melted and slightly cooled butter in a thin stream along the wall, mix again.
After adding all the ingredients, mix the dough thoroughly.
- Cover the cake mold with parchment and brush with butter.
- Fill the dough, it should take no more than 2/3 volume.
- Send in preheated to 180-2000With an oven. Baking time - 30-40 minutes, or until dry toothpicks.
Biscuit baked for 35-40 minutes
- Let the ready-made base cool in the form, remove on the grid and leave to ripen for 8-12 hours.
Let the ready-made base cool down
- Cut the billet into three shortcakes.
Divide the blank into three shortcakes
We have enough time to make a cream. It will require the following products:
- condensed milk - 200 g;
- egg yolks - 2 pieces;
- cocoa - 20 g;
- butter - 200 g;
- water - 30 ml;
- Bring the oil in warm to a soft consistency.
- Connect condensed milk with hot water, enter the yolks.
Mix condensed milk with water and yolks, put in a water bath.
- While stirring, heat in a water bath until the mass becomes thick.
In a water bath, boil the cream until thick.
- Beat butter with vanilla into a fluffy mass.
Beat the butter until fluffy and increase in volume.
- Consistently add the cooled custard and cocoa.
Put custard and cocoa into the butter, whisk again
It remains only to collect the cake and decorate it with fudge. Put the cakes on top of each other by sandwiching the bottom two with a thick layer of cream. Refrigerate infused for 8 hours.
Tip! The original cake is prepared without impregnation, but if you prefer a more juicy pastry, soak the base with sugar syrup.
Prepare a fudge, for this you will need:
- cocoa - 5 g;
- sugar - 85 g;
- water - 30 g;
- treacle - 8 g;
- aromatic essence (can be replaced with liqueur).
- Dissolve sugar in water and bring to a boil.
- Remove the foam and cook under a lid over high heat until 1080WITH.
- The temperature of the molasses bring to 500C and combine with syrup.
- Boil until thickened, a drop should be collected in a ball.
- Cool quickly under running water to 35-400WITH.
- Beat the syrup until it becomes cloudy and thick.
- Leave to mature for 12 hours.
- Heat to 45-500With, sift cocoa, flavor with essence or liqueur, whisk.
Apply chocolate fudge immediately to the cake
The process of making fondant is long and laborious, you can ease the task by replacing the fudge with chocolate icing. Melt 3 chocolate bars with 140 grams of butter in a water bath and mix.
Melt chocolate and butter in a water bath and stir
- Matured and soaked in cream cake, cover with apricot (another fruit or berry is allowed) with jam or jam, pre-heating it a little.
Cover the top and sides of the cake with apricot jam or confiture.
- Drizzle with fudge or glaze, even with a knife. The glaze should cover the side surfaces.
Pour icing on the cake from all sides.
- Decorate the top with chocolate chips, nuts or cream residues.
Spread the icing so that the sides are covered with it too.
- Wait until the icing hardens, it will take about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Collect households, have a tea party and accept praise.
After frosting the cake can be tasted
Video: how to cook a classic cake at home
On the basis of the biscuit according to the classical recipe, but with different fillings, the next option is made. It will take more time, but the result is worth it.
From Olga Matvey with three types of cream and chocolate fudge
The order of preparation of the basics described in the previous recipe, use it. For baking, you can use the slow cooker.
In this case, oil the bottom of the bowl, but not the walls. Pour the dough into the bowl, place it in the appliance and cook in the "baking" or "biscuit" mode.
To remove the biscuit, turn the bowl on the plate
At the end of the cycle, remove the bowl, run a plastic knife or spatula along the walls to separate the pastries from them. Turn the bowl on a plate and leave to rest. In the meantime, get some creams.
- oil - 120 g;
- powdered sugar - 150 g;
- 1st egg yolk;
- cocoa - 10 g;
- milk - 15 g
- Beat the softened butter until whitening.
- Shake the yolk, add to the butter.
Add yolk to whipped butter.
- Add cocoa and caster sugar through a sieve.
- Cool the milk strongly and gradually add to the mass.
Add strongly cooled milk
- When all the components are well mixed, the filling is ready.
With condensed milk:
- oil - 150 g;
- condensed milk - 100 g;
- Mix the oil with a mixer, as in the previous case.
- Attach the condensed milk.
Beat butter with condensed milk to a smooth texture.
- Stir in a spoon of cocoa and look at the result. If the cream is too light, add more and whisk again.
Gradually add cocoa, checking color intensity.
With boiled condensed milk:
- oil - 150g;
- boiled condensed milk - 1 tbsp;
- icing sugar - 130 g
- Add butter to whisk oil.
- When the mass becomes homogeneous, sift icing sugar and whisk again.
Beat the butter with condensed milk, at the end add sugar powder.
To make the dessert more juicy, prepare the impregnation:
- sugar - 1 tbsp;
- rum - 1 tbsp.
- Mix the ingredients in equal volumes and boil.Mix rum with sugar in equal proportions
- Reduce heat and leave for 20 minutes. During this time, the smell of alcohol will evaporate, and the syrup thickens.Boil a mixture of rum with sugar over low heat
- Cool to room temperature.
For decoration you need chocolate fudge:
- cocoa - 150 g;
- milk - 0.5 l;
- oil - 30 g;
- sugar - 50 g
- Combine cocoa with sugar and send to a water bath.
Add milk to the mixture gradually, so that the fudge doesn't turn out too thin.
- In a few tricks pour milk. Make sure it does not work out too liquid.
- Boil for 10 minutes, stirring so that there are no lumps.
Cook fudge in a water bath until thickened.
- Remove the heat, stir in the hot mass of oil, cool.
Add butter to hot mass, fudge will get glossy shine
All components are ready, you can begin to assemble the cake:
- Divide the sponge cake into 4 shortcakes using a knife or thread.Cut the sponge cake into 4 cakes with a knife or thread
- Soak two layers of cooked mixture, slightly sprinkle the other two with clean rum.Soak two cakes with rum syrup, lightly rum two with rum
- Place on the board layer with impregnation, on it - chocolate filling.
- Cover it with rum and cream of condensed milk with cocoa.
- Cover the third layer again with impregnation, cover with boiled cream and cover with the last cake layer.Collect the cake by smearing the cakes with different creams.
- Place a board or flat plate on the blank so that the filling is evenly distributed and the surface of the cake is leveled.
- Apply residues of impregnation on top and side surfaces.
- Store the food in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Cover the cake with fondant, spread it with a knife or spatula so that it is glass on the side surfaces. It is convenient to do this on the grid, placed on a baking sheet, so that the surplus has where to drain.Spread the fudge over the surface so that it covers the side surfaces.
- Wait until the fudge hardens, decorate with chocolate chips.
The combination of three different fillings gives the dessert a rich gamut of taste. If the cake is for children, soak it in sugar syrup without rum. You can decorate on your own.
Tip! When assembling the cake, turn the biscuit over so that its bottom part is on top. So the finished cake will be smoother and more beautiful.
The original recipe, unavailable in Soviet times, woke up the creative thought of home cooks who were trying to reproduce it. So there were cakes, far from the classic, but no less tasty.
From Emma's Grandma
In this variant, sour cream and condensed milk are added to the dough.
For the test:
- condensed milk - 1 b;
- eggs - 4 eggs;
- cocoa - 4 tbsp;
- sugar - 2 tablespoons;
- sour cream - 0.5 kg;
- flour - 2 tbsp;
- vanilla - 1 sachet.
- butter - 0.3 kg;
- cocoa - 4 tbsp;
- condensed milk - 1 bank;
- vanilla - 1 sachet.
- Mix condensed milk with cocoa.
- Consistently beat the eggs, add sugar, vanilla, sour cream. Knead the mass thoroughly after adding each product.Mix products and knead well
- Pour flour, mix again. It should make a smooth smooth dough.
- Bake in detachable form in two steps, dividing the dough equally. Baking time at t 1800C - 35-40 min.Pour the dough into two forms and bake.
- Remove the finished cakes from the mold and leave for 5-6 hours. For now the basis has a rest, we prepare a cream.
- Beat the butter with a mixer until white, add cocoa and mix at low speed.
- Increase the speed and continue to beat.
- In the process, add vanilla and condensed milk.Whip the cream by combining all the ingredients.
- The resulting cream should be fluffy and not crawl along the walls.
- Collect the cake by smearing the bottom cake with half the cream. It is more convenient to do the same detachable form.
Conveniently assemble the cake in detachable form.
- Top gently promezhte cream and turn the workpiece on a plate.
- Spread the remaining cream over the surface and sides.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts, garnish with meringues, chocolate chips.Sprinkle the surface with roasted nuts, garnish with meringues, chocolate chips.
- Allow the finished product to stand in the fridge for 2-3 hours and serve.
Delicate and airy cake is obtained if butter is replaced with vegetable oil in the dough. And the addition of coffee will give it a special taste and aroma.
Original recipe with chiffon sponge cake
For the test:
- eggs - 8 pieces;
- water - 170 ml;
- cocoa - 60 g;
- instant coffee - 1/2 tbsp;
- vegetable oil - 130 ml;
- flour - 200 g;
- sugar - 230 g;
- baking powder - 1 bag;
- 3 yolks (remaining from the test);
- condensed milk - 6 tbsp.
- chocolate - 60 g;
- butter - 200 g;
- cognac - 1 tsp
- Mix water with coffee and cocoa.
- Pound 5 yolks with 180 g of sugar, gradually pour in the butter, then mix the coffee with cocoa.
- Attach the flour with baking powder and soda, mix.
- 8 whisk proteins, at the end adding the remaining sugar.
Protein with sugar, beat with a mixer in a foam until resistant peaks
- Connect both masses.
- Bake the cake for 40 minutes at t 180 - 2000WITH.
- Leave the base to rest for a few hours and enjoy the cream.
Shifovy biscuit also needs rest
- Connect 3 egg yolks with condensed milk and 1 tbsp. water.
- Cook in a water bath until thick.
- Crumble the chocolate, wait until it melts.
- Whisk soft butter, enter the cooled mixture and brandy in a thin stream.
- Assemble the product, as in the classic recipe, missed cakes cream.
Smear cakes with cream and fold over each other.
- Top and sides with jam and chocolate fudge or icing.
Evenly pour the cake icing
These are just a few recipes of the famous delicacy. There are options for the test on kefir, and a wide variety of creams.
If you are a sweet tooth and a chocolate lover, then the Prague Cake is for you. You will follow the classic recipe or adjust it to your liking, baking will still bring joy to you and your loved ones. After all, the main thing in cooking is not a steady following the letter of the recipe, but the result. Taking the presented instructions as a basis, give free rein to your imagination and, perhaps, you will have your own, original version of the famous dessert.